My Expression. My excitement. My joy. My pain. My butterflies. My word. My music.
Song is my way of life. Something natural within me that is like a reflex, automatic, involuntary. It is what I know God placed me upon this earth to do. Ive been singing professionally for over a decade. My church was my foundation for letting my gift blossom into something greater.
But I promise you, as a child I had not a single desire to sing. I was afraid of the industries superficiality, its overcritical ways. Its disregard for truth, morals, and talent. I knew I would be eaten up and spat out. But I was once told that I had gift that many were not born with. I was chosen & I owed it to the people who desired real music, real talent, real truth. I am still that fearful timid girl afraid of ones judgment, afraid of ones disapproval, afraid of disappointing one but I dare not show it.
Now, more than ever, everyone is watching. So many expect something from me because I am wiser, aware, and responsible for any and everything that I produce and distribute. I am focused. A record exec once told me I was too dark skinned for their label. A woman who worked in artist development once criticized me to the color of my nails and the bobby pins in my hair. I have close friends who have yet to purchase my single on iTunes. & I have experienced "boo's" from an antsy crowd wishing I'd get off the stage as they wait for the main attraction. But those disheartening occurrences are only small bumps along a road fraught with negative and positive adventures that can only enhance my growth and wisdom. It is my fuel to continue to press on. No distractions.
I know I have been at this for a while but that just means I'm seasoned, experienced, knowledgeable of my surroundings. Greatness takes time to develop! So as i compose this introduction of where I came from and where I am headed and as I document my thoughts, dont be afraid to express what you don't like and what needs work. I'll use that as ammo to create FIRE! (Although, I will accept a compliment here and there :-) )All I ask is that you stand by me and prepare for something entertaining, serious and significant. Just trust that I am being the best me that I can be. Beasle. That's it , that is all.
A Big Dream , Waiting to Happen....
Friday, June 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment